Maples and Calder
The Maples Group comprises Maples and Calder - a leading international law firm and MaplesFS - a leading independent provider of specialised fiduciary and fund services. Formed in the Cayman Islands almost 50 years ago, the Maples Group has grown to become a market leading international provider of legal and financial services.
Whilst the brief started with improving the presentation of the Maples & Calder legal website, it rapidly expanded to include all the websites within the Maples Group.
Key aspects of the brief were to:
- Dramatically improve the presentation of Maples and Calder's online
- Develop the brand, helping to establish a tone of voice and persona
- Establish a more customer focused presentation of practices / services
- Clearly communicate the company's benefits and strengths
- Differentiate Maples and Calder amongs a competitive marketplace
- Encourage cross-sell across services and regions
- Enhance search engine visibility for relevant terms
- Provide a powerful CMS, allowing easily manageable website content
Working in a partner led organisation, ultimately means that the decision making process requires the input of a much larger group than would be expected in most companies and this creates its own sets of challenges. Here our process really embraced the group rather than shy away from it, ensuring we gained for the large stakeholder groups insight and experience rather than being caught in the potentially negative cycle of decision-by-committee.
Due to the nature of Maples jurisdictional approach to delivering services, we really needed to out how best to promote their specialist work in the key jurisdictions without siloing and duplicating services across these jurisdictions. In tackling this, we also wanted to improve the organisations ability to cross sell, as traditionally Maples had specialist contact points who only know Maples for one thing and we needed to ensure their perception and awareness of Maples offering was expanded to allow for growth and business development.
Another challenge was to balance the desire for a highly differentiating and striking design, with the more cautious and conservative nature usually associated with legal and financial services. Here our mood board process was instrumental in guiding the group through a range of design options, helping them to find commonality in how the brand should be presented.
- A revitalised visual positioning, developing the Maples brand
- A group wide CMS framework based on TYPO3 CMS powering all the key websites, within a unified CMS platform
- A common visual design for all the websites, providing a unified visitor experience
- Refreshed content presenting the practice areas and service lines
- A fully mobile responsive experience, improving visitors non-desktop experience
- An improved hosting infrastructure, lowering operation costs by over 170%, whilst improving up-time continuity and security
- A significant improvement in visitor numbers and SEO ranking
- A 20% increase of both sessions and users in the following year alone, rising on average a further 23% each year
- Increased engagement from all website visitors, with average page views rising by over 15%
- A consistently declining drop-off rate, reducing year-on-year as visitors continue to browse the website after landing
Maples and Calder has since been awarded a Silver Davey Award under the Legal category and a Silver W3 Award under the Law & Legal Services category.
Liquid Light are responsive, helpful and decent.