African Bond Markets
Launched in 2008, the African Financial Markets Initiative (AFMI) was formed to encourage investment in the African continent. AFMI is a joint initiative of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Thomson Reuters, Canadian International Development Agency, and The Fund for African Private Sector Assistance (FAPA). They are committed to provide a central domestic resource to promote African bond market development and information specific to Africa.
AFMI wanted to create “the” online destination for relevant & up to date local currency bond market information focused on African countries. The objective was to encourage the dissemination of content and improve knowledge and standards across the African Continent.
Because this was a relatively new initiative we had to ensure that the visibility of AFMI was raised, and that there was scope for the website to expand and grow as the organisations capabilities expanded.
AFMI had an existing TYPO3 website, and they therefore approached Liquid Light as a specialist typo3 agency, to help them develop their website further, as the needed more that just the technical abilities that the previous agency offered....they really needed the design & communication consultancy and support in helping to promote the African Bond Markets initiative.
- To ensure that the site appropriately communicates with a range of different audience groups such as students, academics, journalists, commercial banks, investors and government officials, considering their varying levels of knowledge and understanding.
- The site needed to display a collate information from many different sources without becoming too overwhelming.
- Improving Search engine visibility was of key importance to AfMI, however it was obviously an interesting challenge to ensure they ranked highly for relatively generic terms such as ‘African bonds’.
- As a new organisation AfMI had high aspirations of what they could publish, however they were aware that they needed to be realistic about what could be achieved – we therefore needed to design to the website to feel complete, whilst allowing space for growth and expansion.
There has been a dramatic visual improvement compared to the previous websites design making an immediate impact, however the numbers are even more impressive.
- Technically the load time performance was improved, reducing load times by 700%
- Hosting infrastructure costs reduced by over 65% whilst dramatically improving the uptime and server continuity to over 99.9% uptime
- Search engine ranking in Google improved for key terms which were not previous ranking African Bonds - No 1, Bond markets in africa - No 2, AFMI - No 1
- 900% increase in subscriber numbers
- 11 X increase in number of website visits
The website was also fully mobile responsive and powered by the enterprise content management system TYPO3 CMS.
African Bond Markets has won a Silver Interactive Media Award (IMA) and a Silver Communicator Award, both from the Non-Profit category.